Review: The Last Thing He Needs

The Last Thing He Needs - J.H. Knight

You know how some books are very good, but trigger something inside you and you end up disliking it, because it is making you so sad. That was this book for me. It depressed the heck out of me. So don’t think this is a bad book because it isn’t. It just isn’t the book for me.

Tommy is 22 and has 7 little brothers and sisters. He has two drug addicted parents who are almost never home, so he is left to take care of everyone. His 17 year old sister helps him the most. Especially because the youngest two are twins of only 7 months old. Everyone else is between 1 and 17 years old.

Everyone is doing their best to keep their family afloat. Tommy works in a pub, and the rest tries to either earn money or steal food so they won’t starve.

Bobby is a young cop, only a couple of years older than Tommy and has been to the house on disturbance calls more times than he can count. Always involving the dead beat parents.

Tommy is suspicious when Bobby starts hanging out at their house on his days off. And Bobby always seems to help them with stuff. It is not until Tommy bumps into Bobby at a gay bar that he finally admits his growing attraction.

After that hot night, the two cannot stay away from each other and it is clear it’s not just a one night stand between them. But Tommy still needs to take care of all his siblings, so he hopes Bobby will stick around, even though Tommy doesn’t have a lot of time to spare.

I really liked the hurt/comfort part of this story. It was sweet how Bobby was constantly trying to help Tommy.

But what made me so sad was the overwhelming feeling of despair that runs through this book. It’s not easy taking care of kids by yourself. And the feeling of being stuck, of having no way out, no time for yourself, always being on high alert to see that nothing happens to the kids, and having parents that show up to ruin everything, that’s what broke me.

I wanted to throw this book aside and run away yelling, freeeeeeedom.

I was also a bit disappointed in the romance. There isn’t much romance. Yes, Bobby and Tommy were together, but it kind of happened, and after that they gradually became more than just friends who have sex. But because the kids and Tommy’s everyday life ate up so much time, there wasn’t a lot of page time for just Tommy and Bobby as a couple.

Even the epilogue felt a bit anti-climactic when Tommy casually mentions

that they tied the knot a year ago.

(show spoiler)

Overall, it was a good book, but it’s not a happy book. It depressed me and now I need to eat cookies to make me happy again.