Scrap Metal

Scrap Metal - Harper Fox 3,5 stars

Some have praised Harper Fox over and over for her ability to write such beautiful descriptive prose. I can honestly say I agree. She has the ability to draw a reader in with nothing more than words, put together to form beautiful sentences. It took some getting used to, but after the first few pages I was hooked. I really loved her writing.

The story was a good one. Why not more stars? I will get to that.
Nichol and Cam were beautifully written characters. Nichol had the weight of the world on his shoulders but he just kept going. And Cam was so sweet, broken but sweet. I loved them together. Two broken pieces of a whole. The romance was a slow burner and these boys did not rush anything.

Then why only 3,5 stars… Because this was one depressing book… I can handle one depressed character. He can be as depressed as he likes, suicidal even. But two broken, depressed characters… yeah.. a bit much. These boys were strong and I really admired that, but they were also terribly scarred on the inside. They loved each other fiercely, but also a bit desperately. Even though everything worked out for them, their future seemed so terribly lonely to me. This is not a feel good story…

If you like this sort of thing, this might be the book for you.