Play Me, I'm Yours

Play Me, I'm Yours - Madison  Parker 3.5 stars

This is a hard one to rate. There were times when I couldn’t put it down and wanted to tell everyone what a great book this was, and there were times when I wanted to throw it out the window.

This is the story of 17 year old Lucas. Lucas is a very talented pianist and he loves to play. But because he is also short, scrawny and feminine looking, he gets picked on at school a lot. He doesn’t have any friends. His parents assume he is gay, so does the rest of the school. He is gay, but he would have liked to come out first. Lucas is so shy, it’s difficult for him to stand up for himself.

This book concentrates on Lucas, not on the romance at first. We get to read about his first sexual experience (bad), his first real love (good), his friendships, his family.

What I liked:
- Shy Lucas. He was adorably cute in his insecurity.
- Alex. A wonderful friend.
- Zach. After he and Lucas finally meet he was nothing but sweet to Lucas.
- The music. I loved how Lucas was so passionate about playing the piano.
- The scene where Lucas’ dad feels it’s time to have ‘the talk’.

What I didn’t like:
- Trish. She was being nice to Lucas, but she was also best friends with Donovan and I just felt she was a bit selfish.
- Donovan. I wanted for him to die a slow and painful death. I hated him!
- Mason, Lucas’ brother. Boy, he was an ass. I didn’t hate him. But I did want to hurt him. He was so mean to Lucas and all because he couldn’t stand the fact that Lucas was different.
- The parents. There were so many things wrong with the way they handled things I don’t even know where to start.
- There were times were I did feel like Lucas was acting a bit childish.
- I felt it would have been a better book if it had been longer. I was felt like things between Zach and Lucas could have been more.
- I also wanted more sex. Because it centered a lot around Zach and his experience and Lucas’ inexperience, I was expecting more.

Still, worth a read.