Sinner's Gin

Sinner's Gin - Rhys Ford I love the Cole McGinnis series of Rhys Ford. So I was pretty surprised to find out that this book didn’t really work for me.

I never connected with either Miki or Kane. The dialogue felt off somehow, and there were several instances where I felt as if people acted out of character.

Miki has had one of the hardest lives I have read about. Left on the streets by his mom when he was just a 2 year old, with drugs found in his body. Abused not only by his foster father, but a friend of his foster father who liked to tie him up and take pictures while abusing him. Things were looking up when he was a few years older and he met 3 guys who he formed a rock band with. Except, what do you know, they get into a car accident and they all die! Except Miki of course.

I can get behind such a story, I really can. But I just never felt it here. We were told a lot how terrible it all had been and how scared Miki was, but I just never saw it. Too much tell without the show to back it up.

If I expect a dark book, then give me a dark book! This was almost fluff.

And Kane was your standard alpha male. A cop at that. And even though my heart usually goes pitter patter when we have the younger guy and the alpha male, not this time. These guys didn’t spend a lot of time together and all of a sudden we get the: “I know you” and the “I love you.” Euhh… right. I didn’t buy it.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not a terrible book and I did enjoy it. The sex was really good. It was just missing some things. Perhaps the rest of the books in this series are better.