Always - Kindle Alexander DNF at 48%

I didn’t know. I really didn’t know.
If I had known I would have NEVER picked up this book.

Elsbeth let slip something about this book last night and I harassed her til she told me how this book would end. And I’m so glad I did. Not that it helped, I was already too invested in the characters to not care if I read it myself or simply heard about it.

There are some things I don’t like to read about.
I love angsty books if one of the MC’s has had a very hard life and is even suicidal. Because with all that hurt comes the comfort. And the comfort is so goooood. But I hate unnecessary angst. The miscommunication kind.

I also fiercely dislike the breaking up for your own good scenario.. no thank you. And cheating is a massive no no in my books. I can read about it but it will annoy me to no end and take away my pleasure of reading the book.

(None of these things occur in this book. I was simply mentioning them to tell you about my dislikes.)

(I must warn you, what I’m going to say now is a MAJOR spoiler for this book. If you don’t want to be spoiled, don’t read it. I will use spoiler tags.)

But with this book I have reached my utter limit. I will NEVER read a book about this subject. Because it will stay with me for a long long time.

I can’t read about one of my MC’s (or both) of them dying. I can’t and I won’t. I understand that this book spans the entire lives of Avery and Kane (well, since they met). They are soul mates and go through a lot together. I felt it, the desperation with which they needed each other. Even when I didn’t know how it would end it had a bittersweet taste to it already. So when this book starts with Avery in the hospital when they are in their sixties, I never would have thought it would end with him dying.

What Elsbeth has told me Kane can’t handle it and is so heartbroken he goes to the cemetery where he sees Avery waiting for him to join him, so he does. But they do leave their (adult) children behind. It is simply too much for me to handle. I am even now crying while writing this review. Of course I see the beauty of this, but it has too much of an impact on me.

I can’t let these kind of stories go. I live the books I read and this is one thing that will stay with me for a long long time. Too long. I’m way too sensitive to read about these things.

Now I need something fluffy.