The Lightning-Struck Heart

The Lightning-Struck Heart - Lesley Berk;Michael Berk;David Castle;Sue Lauder, T.J. Klune Re-read BR with Marte, DoodlePanda, Elsbeth, Heidi and Tara

Just as epic as the first time I read it. I want a Sam of my own!!

When this book came out everyone started reading it. And after reading all the updates I was sure this book wasn’t for me.

I thought the romance would take a backseat in the story and the supposedly funny moments would be too much for me. And I get it, if you take the funny one liners out of context, it does seem like this book consists of only that.

But I was wrong! Wrong wrong wrong wrong!!! I freaking LOVED this book. It goes right onto my favorites shelf. I only have 20 books on there, so that is how much I loved this one.

The romance part was just as good as the funny parts. It was beautiful, it was sweet, it was heartbreaking at times.

“It’s you,” I said, not able to look away. “It’s how I feel when I’m with you. How I think I’ve always felt. You’re my lightning-struck heart. Ever since I’ve known you, you’ve struck my heart, and now I have to let you go because you’re not mine to keep. I need someone that I can be strong for. But I need someone who can also be strong for me.”

I cannot express my love for Sam enough. Sam, a 20 year old wizard apprentice. The most powerful there is actually. Sam, who doesn’t know how to shut up, ever.

Knight Commander Ryan Foxheart was climbing slowly out of the river, water cascading down his body, dripping over miles and miles of muscle.
“I swear he’s doing this on purpose,” Gary whispered hotly.
“I swear I want to do him on purpose,” I breathed.
“You okay, Sam? ” Ryan asked, and his voice was husky.
So I blurted out, “I’ve got wood.” Gary turned his head slowly to gape at me.
“Oh dear gods,” I muttered. Then louder, “Wood. I brought the wood. I’ve got so much wood. Wood. Fuck. Firewood. I’ve got firewood. For the fire. Because it’s going to get nipples out tonight. Cold. It’s going to get cold out tonight. Sweet molasses.”

And Ryan, the Knight Commander, who is so swoon worthy. And secretly in love with Sam for many years. Just these two alone made me very very happy.

But then we have all the other characters.

Gary, the gay hornless unicorn.

“When were you tied up? ”I asked again.
“It was that centaur we met last year. In the elf realm.”
“You said you were just friends!”
“We were. We were just the kind of friends that tied each other up and pushed our penises together.”

Tiggy, the half giant.

“You want mouth full of knight,” Tiggy said. “Knight take your flower and eat it.”

Kevin, the dragon.

“Why are we even out here!”
“Bonding,” Kevin said. “ You said that we needed bonding.” Then he leered at me, his lip curling, tongue snaking out between his fangs. “Or perhaps you meant bondage? Is that what you meant, pretty? You need me to tie you up and choke you on my dick? Make you scream as I twist your little nipples? Make you—”
“That’s not what I meant at all.”

The king.

“Okay, so, how would you feel if you looked like you had boobs?”
“Is that a hypothetical question? ” the king said.
“Hypothetically… no. More like that’s what I painted somehow and will now be a part of the finished product because I don’ t know how to fix it. Nor do I know if I want to.”
“Am I busty?”
“Very. You also have three of them.”
“Good. Proceed.”

I have so much love for them all.

Yes, the romance mostly consists of pining for each other without any boning. It took Ryan a while to get his head out of his ass. Especially since Sam had no idea how Ryan was feeling.

Until the truth corn of course. No way around it after that.

”When you do anything, I get hard, really. Even your ridiculous sex puns. You remember when you wrapped those Dark wizards in stone at the restaurant?”
“Yeah,” I managed to say.
“I wanted to tell you that you gave me an e-rock-tion.” Ryan bent over and banged his forehead against the table. “Why, why, why did I say that out loud? Please. Someone. Anyone. Kill me.”

It takes a long time for these two to get together, but it was worth the wait. I sighed, I swooned, and to steal Gary’s words, I got a heart boner.

This book had everything I ever wanted in a book. A fairy tale kind of story with a magical hero who is socially awkward yet also very awesome in his ramblings, cool sidekicks, extremely funny situations and a lovely HEA.