Unbreak Broken

Unbreak Broken - J.K. Hogan 4.5 stars

This was awesome! I loved it. My inner psychologist was so happy with this book.

Rory hasn’t even been married for a year to his wife, Maia, when it is clear things aren’t working out. Rory has major sexual hang-ups. He feels panicked whenever Maia wants to have sex. Rory knows this is not normal behavior so he seeks the help of a psychologist.

I really loved how the author went into depth at these sessions. I felt so connected to Rory. I just wanted to hug him and tell him everything would be alright.

Rory finds out a lot of things about himself at these sessions.

”‘To hunger’ is defined as ‘to have a strong desire or craving for something of which one does not have enough—food, knowledge, sex, love, touch. Skin hunger is a relatively new term. Touch is the only one of the five senses that’s essential to human life.”

Rory is touch starved. He seeks human contact without feeling afraid when things turn sexual.

When the break up between Rory and his wife is final, Rory goes out and gets really drunk. He finds himself talking to Bennet, a close friend of Rory’s best friends. The two of them strike up a friendship, but it is obvious they are both attracted to each other from the start. And Bennet is more than willing to give in to Rory’s craving for touch.

When Rory finds out there really is a traumatic sexual event in his childhood, he knows that is where his problems come from. Because his sexual development has been off from start, he has to find out what he likes. Who he likes. He isn't even sure he is straight, like he has thought his whole life. But fortunately Bennet is there to help him figure things out.

That first ‘sex scene’ was absolutely beautiful.

The relationship between Rory and Bennet was incredibly sweet, without is being too syrupy. I loved how patient Bennet was with Rory. And I loved how open Rory was about everything. These men have a connection from the start and it was wonderful.

I loved reading about Rory’s journey into (sexual) self-discovery.
Definitely recommended, especially for those who love lots of character development and hurt/comfort.

This can be read as a stand-alone. I haven’t read the others in the series (yet), and I had no trouble understanding this story.