Being Sawyer Knight

Being Sawyer Knight - Nicola Haken 3.8 stars

I normally dislike books about rock stars/people in a band/musicians/famous people. I just don’t understand why people would want to live that way. Their lives are dictated by a PR person and they have to keep up appearances at all times.

But I liked this. And even though keeping up appearances played a big role in this book, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. These guys were not bullied by their record company and mostly decided for themselves what to do with their lives.

Yes, PR was important here and Sawyer was extremely worried about coming out, but he was never forced by anyone to stay in the closet. He did that all on his own.

I loved how patient Jake was and how determined he was to make Sawyer his. I also loved that Jake didn’t accept Sawyer pulling away from him.

”It’s okay to be unsure, to feel scared… but promise me when it feels like it’s getting too much, you’ll come to me – even if it’s me that’s causing you to feel like this.”

It was even less angsty than I expected. Yes, Sawyer has a lot of insecurities, and there was a bit of a push and pull at the start, but that ended rather quickly when Sawyer came to his senses and saw Jake was it for him.

“I can’t stop thinking about you. I can’t stop wanting you, needing to touch you. You need to know I really care about you, Jake. I don’t know if that’s what love is, but I know I will never intentionally hurt you. I don’t ever plan to push you away again, but I also can’t promise I won’t. You’re the only person in the world who knows me absolutely. My whole life is an act, and I can be myself with you. “

These guys have a loving, sweet relationship, despite the fact that Sawyer doesn’t want people to know about them. Sawyer tried to push Jake away, but Jake just didn’t let him.

On to the next one!